Biodiversity assessments at full blast
My last post belongs to the past by now – anyway, that means that I moved to my outdoor workplace. We are mapping sand lizard populations and sampling pollinators, moths (and recording bats at the same time) and still ground-dwelling arthropods. We also running an experiments to measure seed predation along urban gradients. Hopefully we are able to start another experiment on pollinator visitation rates soon – so long as the weather is co-operating.
Plants, plant traits and ground-dwelling arthropods
Unfortunately, spring was very cold and rainy but however, we ‚bravely‘ started our field work for the BIBS project some weeks ago. Currently, our team is doing the plant diversity assessments and also pitfall traps are exposed. Moreover, we are measuring plant traits to analyse intraspecific trait variations along the urbanisation gradient – we are going to run these analyses for invertebrate taxa and hopefully sand lizard populations as well – wait and see. In addition, some students are observing phenology of plant species at 30 sites – very labour-intensive. Today I emptied our pitfall traps for the first time and I can’t wait to study our samples in the lab.
First field work within the BIBS project finished
We finished the grasshopper sampling last week! More than 60 urban dry grasslands had been sampled during summer and we are now happy to have a first extensive dataset for the BIBS project. In all, we acoustically and visually assessed more than 4000 grasshopper individuals with 22 species – including some very interesting species such as Calliptamus italicus. We are looking forward to first functional diversity analyses in the next few weeks.